Explore Possibilities with Python Web Frameworks
Frameworks help developers to build robust, scalable, and beautiful, web applications. They make the life of developers easy. They automate the implementation of common solutions fast and easily. So, today, you will get to know about Python web frameworks. The information mentioned in the blog will be useful on your way to becoming a professional Python web developer.
There are a plethora of Python web frameworks. We have many developers in our python web development company. So I talked to them about some crucial and most used full-stack frameworks for you. It will save you from getting confused and you can easily choose the best framework for your web development.
But, why did I choose to write about Python frameworks? Facebook, Google, Spotify, Instagram, Quora, Netflix, Dropbox, and many other big companies use Python. It is the most used programming language as per the statistics by Statista. Around 48.07% of developers in the world use this programming language for web application development.
The right Python web framework makes it easy for developers to work with the Python programming language for web development. In this blog, you will get to know the most critical Python web frameworks. If you don’t know what is exactly a Python web framework, scroll down.
What Is a Python Web Framework?
Python web framework is a collection of packages or modules. You can build web applications using the Python framework. The different web development frameworks have their own set of features and functions that help the developers to build various types of web applications. Likewise, the developers choose the framework as per their project requirements. Many frameworks are for python mobile app development.
Python framework provides basic infrastructure. You can develop robust python software with the help of the framework. It renders the generic functionality of the program that you have to build manually if you don’t use the framework. So, web frameworks provide an environment, in-built functionalities, and features to speed up the work of web developers.
You can do the below things by using Python:
- Interpreting Requests (Handling cookies, sessions, and form parameters)
- producing responses (Presenting data as HTML or in other formats)
- Storing data persistently
Python Web Development Frameworks
Developers use various types of web frameworks as per the need of the software. We will discuss three types of Python web frameworks.
- Full Stack Frameworks
- Non-full Stack Frameworks
- Discontinued Frameworks
Read out all the types of web frameworks for Python web development.
Python Full-Stack Frameworks
Django is a free and open-source python framework. It follows the model-template-views architectural pattern. Using this full-stack framework, developers can build better web apps in a short time with fewer coding lines. This web framework works on the DRY (Don’t Repeat) method. Likewise, it is a framework for perfectionists with deadlines.
It was originally developed for CMS (Content Management System). The templating, automatic documentation, automatic admin interface generation, DB access layer, and database generation make it the most suitable python web framework. Moreover, Django provides a web server for development use. Here is a list of some crucial features of Django.
- Rapid development
- Don’t repeat yourself (DRY)
- SEO optimized
Masonite is a developer-focused tool. It accelerates the web development process for Python developers. It has a shallow learning curve so beginner web developers can also use it easily. They can reach the full fleet of features available on this full-stack framework. You find it simple from the development to the deployment of the software. Likewise, you can use it for your next SAAS. Here is the short list of Masonite features.
- Mail support for sending emails quickly
- Queue support to speed up your application
- Notifications for sending notifications
- Masonite ORM
TurboGears Python framework combines SQLALchemy Model, Ming (MongoDB Model), Kajiki (view), Rapoze, and others. It is an MVC web framework. You can create a database-driven and ready-to-extend application in a short time. Moreover, it provides designer-friendly templates, and easy AJAX on the browser side, and the server side. It is an amazingly powerful and flexible object-relational mapper (ORM).
This flexible python toolkit has a widget system to simplify the development of AJAX apps. In addition, various web application developers use it for rapid development. Here is the list of some crucial features of this full-stack framework.
- Autogenerated Admin and CRUD
- Schema migration
- Interactive debugger
- Builtin profiling
- Request bound transactions
- Sessions and caching
- Pluggable Applications
Web2PY is an all-in-one package with no further dependencies. It is an easy Python standard library that requires no installation, no configuration files, and can be run off on a USB drive. You can develop a robust web project with it. Web2PY uses Python for the model and the controller modules.
Likewise, this full-stack framework comes with its own web-based IDE which contains a code debugger, code editor, and one-click deployment. You can easily build web apps with the help of its amazing features mentioned below.
- MVC built-in ticketing system to manage errors
- Uses Python-based template language
- Fast coding
- Distribute code in a compiled fashion
- No requirements for installation and configuration files
- Readability of multiple protocols
- Role-based access control
- Support for internationalization
CubicWeb is an open-source python framework built with semantic web principles in mind. This semantic web application framework features a query language, selection-view mechanism, multiple databases, reusable components, and security workflows. Likewise, it performs reusability through the Cubes (Components).
Moreover, it is an engine driven by the explicit data model of the applications. Likewise, an RQL request selects a graph of data and many views can be applied to display the information. So, this Python framework is the most appropriate choice for data-centric applications. Here are some of the important features of the best Python web framework.
- Query language named RQL similar to W3C’s SPARQL
- Power and flexibility of Python programming language
- Reliability of SQL databases
- LDAP directories
- Mercurial for storage backends
You can build a web application purely in Python. It is one of the popular Python frameworks because it shields you from low-level web implementation issues. It comprises several projects that help you develop interactive web applications. Likewise, a programmer can work with its useful abstractions using a single programming language. You can get the infrastructure for components using the Reahl component and have your own database, schemas, configuration, internationalization, and much more. Now take a tour of the features of the Reahl framework.
- Works on a conceptual level
- Canned look for the layout
- The structure of the page flows neatly
- Dealing with persistent models
- Security considerations
- Includes command line tools for tasks
Also Read: How to build an app in Python?
Other Full-stack Python Frameworks
- Dash: Dash is widely used for building ML and Data Science web applications. It is of the most downloaded and popular frameworks.
- Django-hotsauce: It is a scalable and heterogenous Python web framework. It aims to provide tools for pragmatic WSGI app development.
- rok: Grok has an easier learning curve and offers more Agile development experience. For the same, this web framework uses convention over configuration or DRY.
- Pylons: Pylon is a lightweight web framework that emphasizes flexibility and rapid development. Likewise, it was one of the first full-stack frameworks that leverage the emerging WSGI standard.
- Websauna: It’s a full-stack Python web framework for the development of consumer and business Python web applications. You can create interactive visualizations with Websauna.
Non-full Stack Frameworks
- Python Bottle
- Python Flask
Let’s explore the below section and know about each framework in the detail.
Pyramid is a small, fast, down-to-earth open-source Python best web framework. It makes writing web applications easy. As your application grows, Pyramid, a python web development framework provides many features. Developers can create and deploy real-world web applications with more fun by using this non-full stack framework. Have a look at the crucial features of this Python web framework in the space below.
- Suitable for large applications
- Platform independent
- MVC architecture
- Extensible templating
- Built-in HTTP sessions
- Configuration extensibility
2. Python Bottle
Python Bottle is a fast and simple micro web framework for small web applications. It provides request dispatching (Route) with URL parameter support, templates, a key-value database, and a built-in HTTP server. Likewise, you can find adapters for many third-party WSGI/HTTP servers and template engines. It has dependencies only on the Python standard library. Likewise, this micro-framework was originally meant for building web APIs. Bottle implements all the components of the single source file. Explore its key features in the space below.
- Easy to learn and deploy
- Ideal for small applications
- Faster than other frameworks
- Small size framework (50-60 KB)
CherryPY is a pythonic and Object-oriented HTTP framework. You can find mechanisms for hook points and extensions. You can build a standalone python application embedding your own multi-threaded web server. Web2PY and TurboGears also use CherryPy. Moreover, it also supports some web servers like IIS, Apache, and more. You can launch multiple HTTP servers at once using Cherry.
Likewise, the Cherry apps can run on any platform (Windows, Mac OS, Linux). Thereby, it is one of the popular python frameworks. You can use any type of technology with CherryPY. It offers many good frameworks, have a look at them below.
- The simplicity of running multiple HTTP servers
- Powerful configuration system
- Flexible plugin system
- Built-in support for profiling
- Able to run on Python 2.7+, Python 3.1+, PyPy, and Android
It is the popular Python framework and it aims to make developing APIs as simple as possible. A hug is one of the fully-future-looking frameworks. However, it only supports Python3+. It supports many web APIs versions, automatic API documentation, and annotation-powered validation. JSON was used to build the Hug web framework. After the API development, you can reuse the API. So, you can simplify the API development by using its various interfaces. Let’s have a look at its key features below.
- Annotation-powered validation
- Compliance with Cython
- Built-in version management
- Support for automatic documentation
5. Python Flask
Python Flask is a micro-framework based on Workzeug. It is fully Unicode-enabled with RESTful request dispatching and WSGI compliance. This Python web framework is useful when you want to develop small and simple applications. In addition, you can use SQLchemy and operate the database whenever you want.
Python Flask web framework is used by LinkedIn and Pinterest. So, the apps made with Python are robust. It is lightweight and its modular designs make it easily adaptable to the developer’s needs. It includes many useful features for Python web development.
- Built-in development server
- RESTful request dispatching
- HTTP requests handling
- Jinja2 templating
- WSGI 1.0 compliance
- Able to plug in any ORM
Albatross is a small, flexible python toolkit. You can develop highly stateful web applications using Albatross. It deploys to FastCGI, ModePython servers, and CGI. Albatross makes it easy for the developers to build internet applications and they can use Albatross for deploying publicly accessed web applications. It provides an extensible HTML templating system similar to DTML. So, it promotes the separation of presentation and implementation. Consequently, you can build improved programs.
The templating system includes tags like macro definition and expansion, conditional processing, tree browsing, and lockup tables to translate the Python value. Moreover, it has the ability to place Python code for each page in a dynamically loaded module. I have presented some important features of the Albatross.
- Automatic sequence pagination
- Its a collection of Python modules and HTML template files
- Variant implementation for common functional areas
- Collection of pre-packed classes
- Uses a DTML
- Powerful macro definition and expansion
Other Non-Full-stack Python Frameworks
- Aquarium: It has tight integration with Cheetah and has easy-to-use libraries. Moreover, it has adapters for many web environments: deploys to CGI, Fast CGI, and ModPython servers.2.
- Bluebeam: This web framework is the best suited for all types of projects whether it is small or large. Bluebeam is formerly known as Zope3.
- Bobo: Bobo is a lightweight framework to create a WSGI web application. It addresses mapping URLs to calling objects to generate HTTP responses. However, this Python web framework doesn’t have a templating language.
- Clastic: Clastic is a functional web framework. It streamlines explicit development practices while eliminating the global state. Clastic used Workzeug for its development.
- Lona: It is one of the effective Python web frameworks and the best web framework for Python. Lona handles the server and the client side and provides the simple Pythonic API.
Discontinued Python Web Frameworks
Are you going to develop a Python web? You can end up looking for unnecessary or inactive Python frameworks. It is because many frameworks are no more in use and hardly any developers use them. Likewise, the developers may have stated that they no longer maintain the code.
If you know them, you can skip them, save your time, and find the latest and most useful frameworks.
1. Giotto: It is a strict MVC framework and has separated Model, View, and Controller elements. It helps the designers and web developers to work independently of each other.
2. Enaml: It is a declarative programming language with a Pythonic flavor. You can create professional-quality user interfaces with minimal effort.
3. Crusader: It is a powerful, scalable, extensible, and general-purpose server framework.
4. Bocadillo: Bocadillo is the Python web framework. It is filled with asynchronous salsa. It helps you build performant web apps.
5. Karrigell: This Python framework is flexible, has clear intuitive syntax, and is independent of any database.
7. Pyroxide: Pyroxide uses MVC patterns and other classic object-oriented patterns.
8. Snakeletes: It is simple to use a Python web application server.
9. Spark: Spark is a fast and lightweight web tool kit. It supports Mod-Python and WSGI.
10. Wasp: It supports the command line. It has CGI and embedded web server modes.
These are only some of the web frameworks that discontinued. You can find many others besides them.
You must have intermediate competency in the high-level, interpreted programming language to effectively use the web frameworks and write Python code easily. You can hire Python web developers from Technource if you want a professional team for your project. We have developed many web applications for our clients. Moreover, we can develop an Android app in Python because we are the top Python app development company.
+1 (302) 319-9825
+1 (302) 319-9825