How to Use iOS Background Tasks Framework to Keep Your iOS App Content Up To Date?
iOS Background tasks Framework is an important function to keep the app content fresh or updated. A task is a standalone activity. The app performs tasks sometimes on a recurring basis. These tasks are related to the maintenance of the database, refining a machine learning model, and updating displayed data.
They are crucial to keeping the app updated. Our iOS app development company focuses on these tasks while building an app. But how to configure your app to launch and run tasks in the background when the device is not being used? It’s crucial to think about it because enabling the background task saves processing time.
You can use the Background Task Framework to keep the app fresh and update the content in the background. Moreover, iOS developer background processing completes the task when your app is in the background. Let’s know about the iOS Background tasks Framework in the detail below.
Introducing Background Tasks Framework
Apple released the iOS 13 at the WWDC developer conference in 2019 and introduced the list of many features and functionalities. From the list, one of the most important announcements was Background Tasks Framework. It makes the iOS systems faster and more efficient.
There are many types of background task frameworks that developers can use. You will know about the same in the further section.
If you are thinking about why there is a need to launch such a framework, read the below-mentioned information and understand the use of the iOS background task.
Also Read: How to hire iOS app developer in 2023?
Why Use Background Task Framework?
Swift schedule background task is helpful to keep your app content up to date. Likewise, complete updating the apps when they are running in the background. Several tasks like updating a machine learning model, cleaning a database, updating a display data, and many others are done effectively in the background with the help of the Background Task Framework.
Consequently, it helps to save battery life, improves performance, and makes efficient use of processing time. So, you can keep the app content up to date even when you are not using the device. You can watch the iOS background processing tutorial to understand its practical uses.
Types of Background Tasks to Keep Your App Updated
Background task in house app iOS has three main tasks or points to consider for developers. These points will help the iOS developers to use the Background task framework effectively.
- BGTaskScheduler: It is a class for scheduling the task requests that launch an app in the background.
- Refreshing and Maintaining App Using Background Task: iOS developers can refresh the app content and improve its performance with the scheduled background task.
- Starting and Terminating the Tasks During Development: Developers can use the debugger to start and terminate the task before it completes during development.
- BGProcessingTaskRequest: It’s a request to launch your app in the background and execute a processing task that can take minutes to complete.
- BGAppRefreshTaskRequest: It is a request to launch your app in the background for the execution of a short refresh task.
- BGTaskRequest: Developers can use this abstract class for representing task requests.
- BGProcessingTask: It is a class for time-consuming processing tasks that runs when the app is in the background.
- BGTask: BGTask is an abstract class and represents the task when the app is in the background.
- BGAppRefreshTask: Developers can use this class to create an object to represent a short task; which is used to refresh the app content when it runs in the background.
We are presenting you with an iOS background task example for a better understanding. Look at the image below. It shows how to fetch an image count while the task is in the background.
Checking out the iOS background service example will help you implement a background task framework in your iOS project.
How to Do Background App Refresh?
Background app refresh is a vital task in both the operating systems Android and iOS. Often you can’t decide which is the best OS for your app. It can be confusing, but you can contact the experts of Technource and get genuine consultation on the queries related to the app development. Our developers can do background app refresh for both OS. Since you are reading about iOS, we are presenting you with some steps to do background app refresh in iOS.
- Know about the limitations like user permission, period of a refresh, and duration of every refresh execution.
- You have to check the “Background Fetch” option in the background modes.
- Now set the minimum interval of app refresh at the beginning of the app Although iOS has the privilege to control the exact time interval, this parameter can show the highest frequency that an app can expect. Developers can do SwiftUI Background app refresh with help of it.
- The step is about implementing the application(_:performFetchWithCompletionHandler:) method in AppDelegate.Swift. The background task framework has been a great feature introduced in iOS 13. The latest version has background fetch iOS 15. It has some other good features as well. Let’s know about them in the space below.
What Are the Features of iOS 15?
iOS 15 was launched in June 2021 and is the latest version of Apple. It introduced a host of features. You can know about the top 15 new Swift 5 features in our blog written by Swift developers because it is crucial for iOS app development. Meanwhile, have a look at some features of iOS 15 in the below write-up.
- Face time share screen
- Share Play
- Live Text
You can read everything you need to know about Apple iOS 15 in this write up by our experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best features of iOS 13?
When was the iOS 13 launched?
What is new in iOS 15?
How long does an iOS app run in the background?
Can background fetch work if the app is terminated?